Roku is a coveted streaming player that has always pushed the envelope when it comes to delivering the best value for entertainment to the customers.
Roku streaming devices are packed with cutting-edge technology, intuitive operating systems and a boatload of channels, which promise the best entertainment to the users.
What makes Roku an outstanding streaming gadget is its ability to work with any TV model with HDCP over HDMI feature and any Internet Service Provider.
Roku has been in the market of streaming devices since 2008 and has rolled out a number of models since then.
There have been a number of dramatic changes in the sizes, designs, and technologies of Roku that were launched in 2008 and the ones available now.
Current Roku Models:
- Roku Express
- Roku Express+
- Roku Streaming Stick
- Roku Streaming Stick+
- Roku Ultra
Each of these aforementioned models sports a different design and offer a unique set of features to the users.
However, there is one thing that is common to all the models, i.e., entertainment. Every Roku streaming device promises to deliver the best entertainment provided that it has been installed, setup and accessed in the right way.
Prerequisites For Roku Setup
To setup Roku player, you need three things, which are; 2 inputs and 1 output. Along with these, you’d be requiring:
- A working internet connection, which could be wireless or wired. Both connections will work, but the wired one will be a lot faster than the wireless, plus it will be more reliable as well. If using Roku Streaming Stick or Roku Express, then you will have to connect it to a wireless network, as it doesn’t support wired network.
- A power outlet in the close proximity is also crucial because if you are using Roku TV, then you will want it to be connected to a power source that is in proximity to the TV. You don’t have to worry about the power source when using Roku Streaming Stick or Roku Express.
- Video Output is another thing that you need to identify is there and is ideal for Roku streaming device. Roku player needs HDMI port that supports HDCP over HDMI, so make sure that your TV is equipped with this particular technology.
Roku Setup: A DIY Process!
Setting up Roku streaming device is no rocket science, as you just need to make sure that you’ve got the right set of steps to follow.
There might be a few differences in the setting up process of each of the aforementioned models, but the core process remains the same.
Roku Streaming Stick: This device needs to be inserted into the HDMI port of your smart TV with the rest of the setup process being done on the TV screen.
Roku Express: Setting up Roku Express involves connecting an HDMI male connector on both, the device as well as the TV. When both devices are paired, the rest of the process begins.
Selecting The Correct Video Output
The majority of smart TVs come with at least two HDMI ports with each port capable of streaming the best quality content.
If you have connected Roku media streaming player to let’s say ‘HDMI 1’ port, then you will have to select ‘HDMI 1’ in the ‘Video Output Selection’ menu, which opens after you press the respective button on your TV remote control.
- After doing all the connections properly, you will see the Roku logo on the TV screen, confirming the turning on of Roku streaming player.
- If Roku logo doesn’t appear on the screen, then recheck all the connections, especially the video output because if you’ve select the wrong video output, then you won’t be able to see Roku logo. Moreover, check all the connections pertaining to Roku and TV, and if any cable/wire is loose, then connect it properly.
- It’s time to bring Roku remote into use, so the first thing that you need to do is press the button given on the backside of the remote for three seconds irrespective of which current model of Roku you’re using except Roku Streaming Stick because, in Roku Streaming Stick, you just have to connect it to the TV.
- You will now have to choose your preferred language and then, choose the internet network that you want to connect your Roku player.
- As soon as you connect your Roku player to the internet network, Roku will begin updating the firmware, so wait until that happens.
- Once the firmware is updated, Roku will restart.
How To Activate www.roku.com/link code and Roku Player?
Roku setup process doesn’t conclude until you go to Roku com link activation page to activate your Roku player. Here are the steps that you need to follow in order to activate Roku player:
- On your computer, launch a web browser.
- Enter ‘my.roku.com/link’ in the address bar.
- You will see a box named ‘Link Code’ above which, there will be a phrase given, i.e., ‘Please enter the link code displayed on the TV’.
- The link activation code is flashing on your TV, so you need to enter that code to activate your Roku player.
- At the same time, it is important for you to have a Roku account as well. If you have an account, then you will have to do Roku account login or else, go to my.roku.com/signup page.
- To sign up for Roku account, you just need to enter a few details such as your name, email and a password for your Roku account. After adding these details, you need to click the box corresponding to ‘I’m not a robot’ and then, click ‘Continue’.
- You will receive a verification email on the email ID that you’ve provided at the time of creating your Roku account. So, verify your email by clicking the verification link.
- You need to generate a PIN as well, especially when you want to buy a channel or make other transactions on Roku.
- Roku supports a wide range of payment methods, so you can add your credit/debit card, PayPal and Internet Banking, etc.
- Roku only charges for the products you buy, so sharing your payment details won’t deduct anything from your bank.
- Roku provides dozens of free channels, so you can add those to your ‘My Roku Channel’ list.
- For paid channels, you can easily use your desired payment method to make a purchase.
- Roku offers more than 1000 channels at the time of setting up, but you can add as many channels as you like to begin your journey to incredible entertainment.
- Your Roku player will refresh itself with the addition of a new channel and also displays a message regarding the confirmation of the channel added to your Channel list.
Benefits Of Streaming Through Roku Player:
Roku player is a renowned name in the field of digital streaming for a reason. When it comes to delivering the best-in-class entertainment, Roku is arguably the most preferred choice among users.
- Roku offers content in full-HD quality, i.e., 1080p.
- Roku has a large repertoire of movies and TV series.
- To control the functions of the device easily, Roku remote will come into use.
- Roku streaming player supports both, wired and wireless connections.
- Streaming content from a smartphone to the TV through Roku is also possible, courtesy of Roku app.
- The addition of ‘Private Listening’ feature also adds to the convenience.
- Roku incorporates a special ‘Night Listening’ mode, which enhances the soft sounds and dwindles noise.
While setting up Roku player, you can come across a few issues as well, with the most common ones related to Roku remote.
Roku Remote Not Working
While setting up Roku, you will have to pair Roku remote with the device, which could be somewhat tricky. So, if your Roku remote not working, then do the following:
- Check the remote batteries by inserting them into some other remote. If those are working in that other remote, then the batteries are fine, the problem is somewhere else.
- You need to press the ‘Pairing’ button given on Roku remote.
- As soon as you see the LED flashing on the remote, stop pressing the ‘Pairing’ button.
- Your Roku player will start working now.
Roku Remote Not Synced With Roku Streaming Player
Without syncing Roku remote with Roku streaming device, you will not be able to control the functions of Roku through its remote control. To sync Roku remote with Roku, follow these steps:
- Turn off Roku player by toggling the power switch off.
- Wait for a few seconds before turning the power back again.
- On the Roku remote, open the battery compartment followed by pressing ‘Pairing’ button for 3 seconds.
- Wait for 10 seconds or until the LED stops flashing on the remote.
- Now, Roku remote is synced with Roku streaming device.
Roku Remote Not Pairing With Roku
Until and unless the Roku remote is not paired with a Roku device, you can’t control the latter with the former. To pair Roku remote with Roku streaming player, do the following:
- Press ‘Home’ button on the Roku remote followed by ‘Settings’ option on the screen.
- Select the option named ‘Remote Pairing’, which will bring options on the screen.
- Follow on-screen instructions correctly and then, check if the Roku remote has been paired with Roku player.
- If it hasn’t been paired, then turn off the Roku player from the main power outlet
- On your Roku remote, there will be two buttons, ‘A’ and ‘B’, which you have to press at once.
- After pressing ‘A’ and ‘B’ button, you need to press the’ Pairing’ button given on the Roku remote.
- The LED will flash three times, and that is when you’ll have to release the ‘Pairing’ button. This particular process will also resolve HDCP unauthorized content Roku problem as well.
Unable To Update Roku With Current Firmware
Roku updates itself during the initial setup process once you connect the device to an internet network.
If Roku fails to update the firmware, then you will experience ‘Error 011’. If you are experiencing this error, then do the following:
Go to www.Roku.com, then look for an option that leads you to update the software of Roku player.
Make sure to have a working internet connection because the updating of the software needs to be carried out in one go.
Your Roku remote related issues will also be fixed with the updating of the Roku firmware, so make sure it happens in an uninterrupted manner.
Roku Remote Not Working Despite Trying All Troubleshooting Steps:
If you’ve tried all the techniques, yet not able to bring Roku remote to a working state, then you will have to try the following:
- Reset your Roku player by pressing ‘Reset’ button given at the back of Roku device for 20 seconds.
- With that, your Roku player is reset and thus, you can now start from the very beginning.
Roku Not Activating
During the Roku setup process, the most important step is to activate the Roku player, and that’s where most users encounter issues.
If you too are not able to activate your Roku device due to any reason, then you need to check if you have entered the code properly.
If you have, then check, if Roku is connected to the internet or not. If it is, then you will have to perform the following steps:
- On your Roku remote, click ‘Home’ button.
- Now, press (*) button on the remote or go to ‘Help’ option using navigation buttons and then, press ‘OK’ button.
- Click ‘Get a new code’ option.
- You will see a new Roku activation code, so enter this code in the ‘Enter Link code’ box given at my Roku com link page.
Directed To the Same Page After Entering Roku Activation Link Code
The activation process may take a few minutes, but if it has been 15-20 minutes or more, then there is definitely some other issue that you are experiencing.
Here is what you’re going to do to fix the problem of seeing the same page after entering the activation code and clicking ‘activate’ button.
- Confirm if the steps performed to activate Roku player was correct.
- If you are seeing ‘Not connected’ message on the screen along with ‘Error 001’ on the TV screen, then your Roku player is not connected to the internet.
- Select ‘Try again’ option and see if Roku connects to the internet or not. If it doesn’t, then contact Roku help and support facility.
The issues arising in Roku media streaming player are not confined to the aforementioned issues, but there are a lot more that have surfaced on the platform such as:
- Roku won’t connect to wireless network.
- Roku error code 001, 003, 004, 005, 006, 007, 009, 014, 016, 018, 0033 & 0066.
- Roku Wi-Fi problems.
- Unable to activate NBC, NBC Sports, Sports Gold app on Roku.
- Roku not working on Samsung Smart TV.
- Roku not showing Amazon Prime.
- Roku not detecting WiFi.
- Roku not streaming.
- Roku error code 014.30, 014.40, 014.50 & 014.20.
- Roku can’t find & run channel.
- Roku can’t find Plex server.
- Unable to activate ESPN channel on Roku.
- Problems in accessing YouTube on Roku.
- Hulu not working on Roku.
- No sound in Roku.
- HDCP Unauthorized content disabled Roku.
- Roku HDCP 2.2 not supported.
- Netflix not working on Roku.
- Unable to buy any channel in Roku.
- Roku remote not working and/or not pairing with Roku player.
Roku streaming player offers a complete entertainment package, but to be able to enjoy your favorite movies and TV series, you have to ensure that your Roku player is properly set up and activated.
For that, if it is necessary to take the assistance of experts, then you should reach out to experts at Roku com link activation. Get the best solution to all Roku related issues by consulting experts.