Roku media players are meant for working on the latest version of OS. Your Roku media player will automatically check for new software if available for download when you power on the device. After every 36 to 42 hours, it will check for updates if available on the website, the downloading will start automatically.
What to do if the software update doesn’t start on Roku media player?
For successfully update, your Roku device must be connected to the internet. If for some reason, your device is not connected to the internet, you will find a problem in updating the software. You will find error codes 001, 002, 005 and 003 on the screen.
How to fix the problem?
There is a possibility that the Roku service is temporarily down. In such cases, you need to wait for a few minutes and try connecting to the server again. If the outage problem is reported in the area, you will find the same notification on the Roku screen. You can try the below-mentioned steps to fix the problem.
- Are you connecting to the right network? If the SSID you have selected is wrong, then this may cause the network problem. The name of the network can be check by finding the name and password from the alternate device.
- Click to see if the router is working properly or not, you can connect your computer or mobile device to the same router and start accessing the internet, if the website is opening, then go to next troubleshooting step.
- Are you getting proper signal strength? If the password is correct and other devices are able to access the network, then the problem is certainly with the signal strength. The signal strength depends on ‘How far you have placed the router from Roku’. If the distance is more and too many obstacles in-between, then you will get a signal strength issue.
- Restart Roku and router and check if the problem is resolved or not.
- For restarting the player, go to ‘Settings’ followed by ‘System’ then ‘Restart’. You can also restart by unplugging it from the power source.
- Restart the router by reading on-screen instructions from the manufacturer’s website. The simple method to restart the router is plugging it back to the supply after a gap of 20 seconds. In some routers, you will find the ‘Reset button’ on the back of the device. You can press this button even to restart the device.
- Wait for few minutes till the devices get refreshed properly.
- If the connection between the router and the Roku device is already established, then no need to enter the password again. The Roku will be connected to the router automatically. The setup steps are required only for the first time.
Note: You may or may not know the fact that you can connect the Roku device to the internet both through a wired or wireless connection, so it is better to connect it through a wired connection. Simply connect the Ethernet cable to the Ethernet port of Roku player and to the router.